Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Crustless Quiche

Today has been a busy day, painted most of the morning, cleaned my master bath, started a blog and partly cleaned out my refrigerator. We seem to have a lot of leftovers. We don't have kids to pawn them off on and a lot of times neither of us wants to eat the leftover spoonful of Brussel sprouts or asparagus or whatever vegetable I made that day. So they accumulate in various bags, bowls and tiny tupperware containers in my fridge until they become unrecognizable and we throw them out.
So today I decided to be creative (and frugal) and make an entirely new dinner out of my leftovers. I found a container of sauteed spinach and a seasoned chicken breast along with a half of a red pepper and a half of an onion that needed to be used up. Since we are on a low carb diet, I decided to make a crustless quiche.The cottage cheese makes the egg beaters fluffier in my opinion. My mother in law told me about that trick, especially if you are one who uses egg beaters and likes to microwave them. Keeps them from being dry. Tonight we will be having this crustless quiche and I will be making a salad of greens, lettuce and the rest of that red pepper that is starting to become questionable...


2 cups egg beaters
1/2 cup parmesan
3 heaping tablespoons cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup sauteed spinach
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup red bell pepper
1 skinless boneless chicken breast cooked and diced
salt
pepper

I sauteed the red bell pepper and onion until soft. I sprayed a large corning ware casserole dish with cooking spray. I mixed the eggbeaters and cottage cheese in a bowl and added the parmesan, spinach, red bell pepper and onion and salt & pepper and a pinch of garlic powder. I lightly stirred, then poured into casserole dish. Sprinkled on some shredded cheddar and baked at 350 F for almost an hour with the lid on until it puffed up and the egg was set.

No comments:

Post a Comment